It’s finally Friday! YAY!!!
I love music! I would say my taste in music is very eclectic. If I put my music on shuffle you’ll hear everything from country to gangster rap…and everything in between. Of course…my music of the moment will depend on my mood. I’ve always been the kind of gal who “feels” the lyrics of a song or gets “lost” in a haunting melody. I love to sing…all the time…in the shower, in the car…it doesn’t matter where I am. I’ve even been known to sing and bust a move in the grocery store! (I mean…what is life if we aren’t having fun???)
Music has been a central my whole life. One of my fondest childhood memories was sorting through the massive record collection with Gram Wagner. Most of the albums belonged to my Uncle Ron, a lot of 80’s rock! (Which is probably why even now I LOVE the 80’s rock ‘n’ roll!) Gram would sit on the floor with me and play me her favorites. I would eventually learn them so that I could sing along with them. When Gram and Pap passed away, I was sure to get the old record player and a small collection of records. I would play them whenever I was feeling sad and lonely…and within moments I would be comforted by those sweet memories. The record player and collection of albums didn’t make the move, but I made sure to pass them on to my cousin Chelsea, I’m certain she will cherish them as much as I did.
Today, I want to share with you my five of my favorite albums…some of those old records that bring back so many memories and some that are just special to me!
- Elvis’ Christmas Album: Gram adored Elvis! I think she rubbed off on my, because I enjoy a little bit of Elvis myself. His Christmas album was one of our favorites. I remember spending the night at her house when I was little and we would put this Elvis album on the record player…even if Christmas was months away!
- Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison: Who doesn’t love the man in black?! I had this album on vinyl too…only this one was passed down by my Pap Decker. And boy did my pap and the music of Johnny Cash go hand in hand. Outlaw country. My family of rednecks was country…when country wasn’t cool!
- Journey’s Greatest Hits: What can I say?! I’m just a small town girl…livin’ in a lonely world… (I bet you sang along didn’t you?!) My Uncle had this on vinyl and I remember listening to it when I was young and falling in love with their smooth style! Now, I have this collection in my car…it makes a great road trip soundtrack!
- The Beatles’ 1: I think it’s safe to say that everyone loves the Beatles…whether it’s because of their harder, edgier tunes like “Helter Skelter” or the sweet melodic love songs like “I Want to Hold Your Hand”. They literally have something for everyone!
- Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill: Oh the teen angst! I was about 14 or 15 when this album came out…and I sang every song! Funny story behind this one…I talked my parents into letting me pick up the CD from Wal-Mart. My parents heard the music playing…didn’t like the content and made me return it to Wal-Mart. I then bought the CD again when they weren’t around…hid it…and made sure to only play it when I was home alone. Flash forward to when I was 16, driving around…music blaring…singing at the top of my lungs! I still can’t help myself but to sing along when any of the songs…from “Ironic” to “Hand in My Pocket”…come on the radio!
I hope you will share with me some of your favorite albums in the comments!! I love to check out new music!!