- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5) oz Cans Diced Tomatoes w/ Chilies
- 1 (28) oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Liquid, beef broth or water or beer
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) Can Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) Can Light Red Kidney Beans, drained
- Heat olive oil in a large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and saute 3 minutes, until slightly browned and translucent. Add garlic (fresh or the equivalent amount of prepared minced) and saute 30 seconds longer. (Do not saute too long as you don’t want the garlic to become crispy!) Pour onions into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat, add beef and cook stirring occasionally until beef has browned. Drain fat from beef ( I like to leave a tablespoon or two in with beef, as this adds wonderful flavor). Pour the browned beef into the crock-pot.
- Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes (you can substitute 3 8 oz cans of tomato sauce if you don’t like chunks of tomato in your chili), 1/2 cup liquid (water, beef broth or beer), chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, sugar, coriander and season mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Stir mixture, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 – 6 hours.
- Stir in dark and light red kidney beans and allow to heat through, about 10 minutes (if you want the soup to have more liquid you can add in another 1/2 cup liquid). Serve warm with desired toppings (i.e.cheese, sour cream, scallions) or serve with corn bread.
- You can add a fresh jalapeno or two if you want added heat.